Sometimes being a student saves you money

Jessica Ayala, Staff Writer

Students at Madison College have a lot of expenses. Luckily, your status as a student makes you eligible for many discounts.

Microsoft Office – Madison College has an agreement with Microsoft to provide Microsoft Office 365 at no cost for all Madison college students. This includes Word, Publisher, Access, Excel, OneNote, Outlook, Power Point, Skype and OneDrive cloud storage. The whole package is available to download on your laptop, desktop, tablet and even your smart phone. To download go to the Madison College web site and search for Microsoft Office 365 and follow the steps.

Meal Purchases discounts – When students use their OneCard to purchase food and beverages a discount of 10 percent is received. How do you take advantage of this? Add money to your OneCard at the Truax Campus Room 1420. A minimum deposit of $10 is required.

UW-Madison Library – Madison College libraries have an agreement with UW-Madison Libraries to offer a “borrowing card” free of charge to Madison College students. Students with a valid OneCard and enrolled in at least one credit class are eligible. Students can pick up the required form at any Madison College library. Once the form is filled out take it along with your OneCard to UW-Madison’s Memorial Library.

Metro Transit Bus Pass and Campus-to-Campus Shuttle Service – Students enrolled in at least one degree credit class can receive a free bus pass and use the Campus-to-Campus shuttles. The Metro Bus Pass can be used to ride wherever and anytime, even weekends. The bus passes are only valid for the current semester. Students can receive their pass by presenting their OneCard in the Student Life office. Campus-to-Campus shuttles operate between Truax-Downtown, South-Downtown, and West-Downtown. Schedules are on the Madison College website.

Ask – Perhaps, the best way to find student discounts is to ask. Business don’t always advertise their student discounts. According to Student Senate advisor Jackie Dahlke, many business haven’t thought of offering student discounts and your inquiry could spark an idea.