WolfPack fall to Rock Valley, defeat Elgin in shootout

Christina Gordon, Sports Editor

The WolfPack women’s soccer team concluded their regular season on Oct. 12 with a 2-1 loss to Rock Valley College.

The WolfPack got on the board first when they were awarded a corner kick.

Sophomore Kaitlyn Clapper perfectly kicked the ball in and freshman Mackenzie Bielecki was able to score on the header to give the WolfPack the lead at the 32-minute mark.

Rock Valley then added a goal in each half against sophomore goalkeeper Kelly Kubicek ended the game with seven saves. 

The WolfPack entered the NJCAA Region IV Division 3 tournament on Oct. 23, as the No. 2 seed and faced No. 7 seed College of DuPage.

Down by one in the second half the WolfPack got their only goal by sophomore Jenna Kohrt at the 48-minute mark scoring unassisted.   Kubicek had three saves on the game. 

Tied 1-1 after two overtimes the game was decided by a shootout.  The WolfPack would win the shootout by a score of 4-3 to win the game.

After both teams missed the first shootout attempt both teams would go on to score the next three attempts. The College of DuPage missed its last attempt, while Bielecki tapped the ball in on the right side past DuPage’s goalkeeper to score. 

The WolfPack advanced to the semifinal round to play No. 3 seed Elgin Community College on Oct. 6.  The WolfPack and Elgin Community College have faced off once this season, and finished tied, 1-1, after two overtimes.