Early games show mix of scorers for men’s team

Bailey Ayres, Sports Editor

The Madison College men’s basketball team is getting off to a smooth start with a 3-3 record. The WolfPack is finally getting a chance to show-off both returning players, and incoming players.

In the Anoka-Ramsey Community College Tournament that took place on Nov. 10-12 the WolfPack went undefeated winning both of their games.

According to coach Bill Kegler the team came into their own during the tournament.
“This weekend we started defending. Playing defense as a group and helping each other. When someone gets beat, somebody was there to pick them up. So that was a step in the right direction. We have a lot of season left and lot of improvement to make, on both…sides of the ball,” he said.

In the first game of the tournament against Anoka-Ramsey Community College the WolfPack won in overtime, 69-67. Freshman Anthony Johnson led the team with 19 points. Sophomore Deshawn Black followed with 15 points, while sophomore Tyree Young had eight points, four assists and one block.

The second game of the tournament was against St. Cloud Technical and Community College in Minnesota. The WolfPack won, 89-57. Freshman Brandon Robinson led the team with 18 points, one assist and two blocks. Sophomore Jezzriah Burton followed with 17 points, four assists and two blocks. Black also had 12 points and two blocks.

On Nov. 15, couple of days after the tournament, the WolfPack traveled to Sauk Valley Community College. The WolfPack fell to Sauk Valley Community College, 74-65.

Johnson led the team with 33 points and two blocks. Burton followed with 11 points and four assists. Young also had 10 points.

Most recently, Madison College suffered a 76-71 loss to Columbus State Community College at home on Nov. 18.

Columbus State entered the game as one of the highest scoring teams in the nation, averaging 102 points a game, and Madison College held them in check for most of the game.

After taking a 2-point lead at halftime, Madison College was outscored 49-42 in the second half. Tyree Young led the team with 27 points, while Brandon Robinson added 24 points. No other Madison College player scored in double figures during the game.

The WolfPack has two upcoming home games to look forward to. One on Dec. 2 when Madison College takes on Elgin Community College with tip off at 3 p.m. Another on Dec. 4 when Madison College plays University of Dubuque (Iowa) with tip off at 7:30 p.m.