WolfPack drops two close matches

Evan Halpop

Troy Bruzewski, Sports Editor

The Madison College men’s soccer team dropped its two season-opening games – one against a National Junior College Athletic Association Division I school and the other against an in-state rival.

The WolfPack traveled to Sugar Grove, Ill., Saturday, Aug. 25, for their season opener, against Waubonsee Community College, a Division I college. They not only faced a larger school, but did so with a very short bench – almost non-existent.

No substitutions were made by the WolfPack, yet they stayed competitive with Chiefs in the first half. Madison College goalie Ian Murphy turned away all Waubonsee shots and the WolfPack was in a scorless tie going into halftime. Murphy kept Waubonsee scoreless for the first 54 minutes of the game. However, the Chiefs scored goals at 54:57 and 62:34, to take a 2-0 lead.

Waubonsee’s defense was stingy, allowing Madison College only three shots-on-goal, while the Chiefs had 23 attempts, with nine on-goal.

The WolfPack didn’t get on the board and eventually dropped a 3-0 decision, unable to take advantage of 14 fouls called on Waubonsee.

Milwaukee Area 2, Madison College 1

Madison College’s first goal and first lead of the year came on Wednesday, Aug. 29, though the first win of the season did not arrive.

Murphy again was in goal for Madison College and posted another first-half shutout. The team’s first goal of the season came at 51:27, when Matric Kotula scored off a Murphy assist, giving the WolfPack a 1-0 lead.

Madison College held that lead for 15 minutes, then Milwaukee scored its first goal of the game, tying it 1-1. The WolfPack was unable to regain the lead and again were outshot in the game.

Like the game against Waubonsee, the WolfPack had just three shots-on-goal, while Milwaukee had 13. Madison College also was at a disadvantage in corner kicks, taking just two, while Milwaukee attempted six.

But the WolfPack also kept Milwaukee from scoring another goal in regulation and the game went to overtime.

Just over a minute into overtime, Milwaukee scored the game-winner, dropping Madison to 0-2 on the season.

Murphy finished with 11 saves in the game.