The news site of Madison Area Technical College

The Clarion

The Clarion

The Clarion

Follow Us
RSSTwitterFacebookYoutube

Clarion wins 10 awards in state contest

Clarion staff members, from left, Kai Brito, Kelly Feng and Grant Nelson attended the Wisconsin Newspaper Association Convention on March 15.

The Clarion received 10 awards from the Wisconsin Newspaper Association Foundation’s Collegiate Better Newspaper Contest at the annual convention held in Madison on March 15. 

The Madison College student newspaper won second place in the general excellence category. First place in the category went to The Daily Cardinal at UW-Madison, while third place went to The Advance-Titan of UW-Oshkosh. In addition, The Clarion’s website received a second-place award. 

Several staff members were recognized for work that was published between Jan. 1, 2023, and Dec. 31, 2023. 

Graphic Designer Marie Matlock won first place in the advertisement category for a Black History Month advertisement she created on behalf of the United Common Ground. 

Copy Editor Kai Brito took second place in the arts and entertainment story category, while Editor-in-Chief Kelly Feng earned an honorable mention in the same category. 

Photographer Sierra Brunner won second place in the feature photography category for photos from the Bella Nock Circus.  

Reporter Claire Liddicoat won a third-place award in the freedom of information category for a column she wrote about the legal basis of efforts to ban books in schools. 

Taylor Kaufmann, Ethan James and Feng won an honorable mention as a team in the use of multimedia category for a story, photos and video they produced about the women’s basketball team. 

Feng received honorable mention recognition in the sports story category for a feature story about Madison College volleyball player, Courtney Gorum. 

Photographer Emily Faust received an honorable mention award in news photography for photos she took of the Madison College choral collective rehearsing. 

The WNAF Collegiate Better Newspaper Contest “recognizes excellence in student journalism across the state.” It is open to all college and university student newspapers at both public and private schools throughout Wisconsin.