National Love Your Pet Day

Special day on Feb. 20 highlights value of pets

Emily Faust / Clarion

Madison College students visit with the Dogs on Call pets earlier this school year. National Love Your Pet Day was Feb. 20, and reminds us of the positive aspects of pet ownership.

Paige Shapiro, Staff Writer

Do you have a pet? Nowadays it feels like everyone has a pet of some kind. Most people usually get cats and dogs, and some people have unique pets like raccoons or chameleons. No matter the case, the one feeling that all pet owners share is companionship. When you live with and spend every day with them, it is very hard not to be fond of them.
Besides having to pick up their poop and them ruining all your belongings, what’s not to love? The benefit of having a pet means you get a free comedian in your house, as well as an instant vacuum to clean up all your spills!
Albeit, when you come across an animal and you have that love at first sight moment, that is where the bond normally starts. They begin to grow on you with their little mannerisms, reminding you that they have their own personalities and different tastes. It could be the way their tongue sticks out or the way their butt wiggles when they’re excited.
There are so many funny and charismatic things about your pet, that allow you a great comfort and happiness. One of the best parts of coming home is seeing your buddy greet you at the door from a long day. Or when you’re having a bad day, they are always there to listen to your woes and comfort you. It’s the little things about them that make you love them more.
I have always had a pet in my house ever since I can remember, so I am well accustomed to owning and taking care one. Currently, I have a male tabby cat named Marshall. He is the cuddliest and the most troublesome thing. He likes to loom over my head at 6 a.m. to constantly remind me that he wants me to feed him and that I cannot waste another minute, or he will immediately die from starvation. Another thing he likes to do is just plop himself right on your chest and face (he is a big cat) when you least expect it. He does this because he loves you and because he wants attention, if you couldn’t tell.
The fact is, with owning an animal comes a lot of responsibility. They are a lot of work and energy. You must feed them, play with them, take them on walks, as well as having to pick up their poop every day. And let’s not forget with a pet, they like to destroy everything in their wake. For example, my cat used his claws to tear up every side of my bed, and a very large corner of my rug; now it has giant chunks of fabric ripped out.
Sometimes I get so angry at him that I want to throw him out of a window (but I don’t). Then I must remind myself that he is just a cat, and he doesn’t know the difference between right and wrong. Having a pet is sometimes so frustrating because they do unpredictable things due to their nature. So be wary of your emotions when it comes to owning a pet because they will test your patience.
All in all, owning a pet is a big deal, but it is one of the most fulfilling relationships a human being can have. Unconditional love and companionship are what I value in a pet. What do you value in yours?