Santa’s Wish List needs your help to give gifts to 200 children

Taleise Lawrence

Student Life student employees Alyse Miller, left, and Levi Jones look at ornaments on the Volunteer Center’s giving tree.

Lillian Coppelman, Editor in Chief

Every year many Madison College students struggle to afford presents for their children during the holiday season. Santa’s Wish List, coordinated by The Volunteer Center, is a program designed to assist those parents and lighten their financial load. Over 200 children need presents this holiday season, and Madison College students can help those families in need.
Students can contribute to Santa’s Wish List by being a sponsor. Sponsors can pick an ornament with a child’s holiday wish from the Giving Trees, which are located in the Truax and Goodman South Student Life offices. Each ornament has the child’s age and a list of items that they might want to receive. Sponsors need to return the unwrapped gift donation to either Student Life office by Dec. 2.
There are also Amazon wish lists that students can buy gifts off of. Each gift costs around $25 or less and will be shipped to Student Life to be distributed to students. Purchases made off of the Amazon wish list need to be done before Nov. 30 to allow adequate shipping time.
Santa’s Wish List does not require shopping to support families in need; there are several volunteer opportunities available to students to help the organization.
There are Gift Wrapping Parties where students can wrap presents and assemble gift wrap kits. There is one at the Truax Campus on Wednesday, Dec. 6 from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. in Room A2021, and another at the Goodman South Campus on Thursday, Dec. 6 from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. in Room 120. There will be free hot chocolate available for any volunteers.
If students cannot make it to the Gift Wrapping Parties they can volunteer to organize the gifts, sort items and distribute the wrapped items to recipients’ cars. The events are on Friday, Dec. 9 from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. at the Truax Campus and on Saturday, Dec. 10 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Goodman South Campus.
Santa’s Wish List is an organization that strives to help children and families receive gifts and lessen the financial load that the holidays bring. Students should help contribute to the cause if they are able to to spread the holiday cheer and to benefit and support others.