Helping out Project Linus

Volunteer Center holds blanket making event during winter break

Kaleia Lawrence

Students cut fabric to make blankets to donate to Project Linus during a Volunteer Center activity during winter break.

Kaleia Lawrence, Editor in Chief

Blankets provide more than just warmth; they can provide a sense of comfort and security. To spread some of that comfort into the community, the Volunteer Center hosted blanket making for Project Linus during winter break.
Project Linus is a national organization that gives handmade blankets to children in need.
“These blankets are going to kids who are in situations where they might not be comfortable or safe or feel that they’re having a tough time,” said Brianna Stapleton-Welch, Volunteer Center advisor.
Many of the blankets from the Madison chapter are given to local children’s hospitals and foster care. As of last October, 90,560 blankets were given away, according to the Project Linus Madison website.
A total of 25 blankets were made within two hours by those who attended at Truax. The Volunteer Center has hosted this event multiple times, even during the pandemic when supplies were shipped to everyone.
Safety concerns were taken into consideration with the planning of the event.
“It was an easy thing to do for students on campus and that way students would probably feel more comfortable instead of going off campus,” said Madelyn Breunig, alternative breaks coordinator.
If you’re interested in contributing to Project Linus, email [email protected]