Bakery at the Truax Campus is open again

Instructors and students in culinary arts program happy to be able to showcase their work

Lauren Taillon

Cupcakes are displayed in Madison College’s bakery at the Truax Campus.

Kaleia Lawrence, Editor in Chief

The bakery, found around the corner of the cafeteria at Truax, is open once again. After a year of inactivity due to the pandemic, baked goods are available for all to enjoy.  

The bakery’s goodies are made by students in the Baking and Decorative Arts program. Because the program only lasts a year, the bakery is a new experience for the students. However, it’s a staple for those who have been at the college for a while.  

“It’s more about the people that have been at the college or have been familiar with the store in the past that are the ones that are the most excited because they know what the bakery has to offer,” said Cheryl Weise, the baking and decorative arts full time instructor.  

Even though COVID-19 greatly affects many aspects of life, it hasn’t greatly changed operations at the bakery. Since they are preparing food to be sold to customers, the standard has always been high regarding sanitation practices. The biggest change has just been students wearing masks while working.  

Students are preparing items to be sold on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, each day focused on a different type of food. For this semester, the main days revolve around general baking, bread and cake.  

“I would love everybody to at least stop and take a look because we have pretty things to look at in the store,” said Wise. “The prices are very reasonable to give the students a chance at winning them over and getting them to become a faithful supporter of the bakery, and in essence, supporting the students themselves.” 

Because the bakery is located around the corner, it is sometimes missed by students. Even students who frequent the cafeteria often might miss the bakery depending on what time they go or what entrance they use. During the fall semester, it is open Tuesdays from 10 a.m.- 1 p.m. and Wednesdays from 9 a.m.-1 p.m.