Stop the Bleed

Event teaches vital life-saving techniques

Emily Dimond

Public Safety officers demonstrate how to use a tourniquet to stop someone from bleeding during an event in the cafeteria

Emily Dimond, Photographer

Stop the Bleed is an event that happens every other week in Madison College’s Truax Campus cafeteria. Kalvin Barrett, a former police officer for the Sun Prairie Police Department and a current instructor for the Criminal Justice Program and Law Enforcement Academy, is Stop the Bleed certified which means that he can teach the curriculum. Barrett oversees the Stop the Bleed events at Madison College.

According to www.bleedingcontrol.org after the active shooter deaths at Sandy Hook Elementary School, the Joint Committee was formed to create a protocol for national policy to increase survivability from active shooter and intentional mass casualty occurrences.

One of the recommendations of the committee was to help bystanders become immediate responders at the scene of injuries before first responders arrive.

In October 2015, Stop the Bleed, a national awareness campaign, was launched at the White House.

At Madison College, Recreation Management students from a Risk Management class, participated in Stop the Bleed as their annual Pay it Forward event. They assisted in teaching basic life saving techniques. These students were teaching other Madison College students how to do chest compressions on dummies. Public Safety officers were present as well, with all their First Aid equipment including tourniquets to stop bleeding and Automatic External Defibrillators (AEDs). AEDs are used to restart the heart for individuals suffering a heart attack.

Students seemed especially eager to learn chest compressions. As of December 2018, there were almost 40,000 instructors for Stop the Bleed, in 90 countries and all 50 states, as well as more than 500,000 people trained. Kenny Barrett sees this training occurring every other week at Madison College. He says that this training “applies everywhere,” and he encourages all students to attend.