Strong finish brings a win for the WolfPack

Clarion Staff Photo

Madison College’s Cassie Paulsen defends a Rockford University JV player during a game on Nov. 17.

Anthony McCulley, Staff Writer

Madison College’s women’s basketball team entered the Lake County game riding a two-game winning streak, with previous wins against North Central Michigan College and Bay College respectively.
The WolfPack secured a 67-56 win against the Lancers on Nov. 15. This made it three in a row for them, and they improved to 3-4 on the young season. The WolfPack and the Lancers were equally matched in this game in terms of physical size..
With roughly 2 minutes before half, the WolfPack had some breathing room between them and the Lancers. Then the Pack went on a scoring drought, leading to the Lancers clawing back and only down 30-28 going into the half.
For most of the game both teams were close in scoring. At the end of each quarter, both teams were within five points of each other.
The Lancers were put into the bonus early in the third quarter, which led to them having the better quarter overall, scoring 20 points to Madison College’s 15. The WolfPack took charge in the fourth quarter as they outscored the Lancers, 22-8.
Sophomore Taylor Ripp was the leading scorer of the night, with 14 points, three steals and two blocks. Ripp also had six rebounds in her performance.
The second highest scorer for the Pack was sophomore Reyna Knox, with 13 points, three steals and three rebounds.
Some other Madison College contributors were first year player Cora Hansen with 10 points and eight rebounds and sophomore Mikala Williams with six points and seven rebounds.
Madison College, 5-4 overall, plays three games on the road before returning back home on Dec. 3.

Madison College 80, Carl Sandburg College 76
A big third quarter helped push the Madison College women’s basketball team to its fourth-straight win, 80-76, over Carl Sandburg College on Nov. 19. Madison College outscored its opponent, 26-8, in the third quarter to take the lead. Ripp led the team with 22 points, while Kaylee Anzalone had 21.

Madison College 74, Rockford University JV 41
A third-quarter scoring barrage led Madison College past Rockford University’s JV team, 74-41, at home on Nov. 17. The WolfPack outscored the Regents, 29-9, in the third quarter and then held them to four points in the fourth quarter to finish off the game.
Ripp led the team with 17 points and eight rebounds. Emma Paulson added a season-high 15 points, while Kayla Staveness tallied a season-best 14 points.

Madison College 44, Bay College 40
After scoring just 24 points in the first three quarters, Madison College netted 20 in the final period for a 44-40 victory over Bay College on Nov. 12. It was the most points the WolfPack have scored in a single quarter this season and enabled them to win both their games in the Bay College Classic.
Jordanna Davis led Madison College with 17 points and had six rebounds and five steals. Mikala Williams added eight points and seven rebounds.

Madison College 57, North Central Michigan College 36
A 14-point run in the first quarter gave Madison College the start it needed to earn its first win of the season as it posted a 57-36 victory over North Central Michigan College in the Bay College Classic on Nov. 11.
Davis led the WolfPack with 20 points, hitting nine of 16 shots. Ripp finished with 10 points and had 10 rebounds.

University of Dubuque JV 74, Madison College 57
A first-quarter run gave Dubuque a 12-point lead, and visiting Madison College was unable to close the gap, losing 74-57 on Nov. 9. Ripp scored a season-high 15 points and had eight rebounds. Hansen was the only other double-digit scorer for the WolfPack, adding 12 points and five rebounds.

Waubonsee Community College 90, Madison College 60
Madison College kept things close for the first quarter, but saw Waubonese score 30 in the second quarter on its way to beating the WolfPack, 90-60, on Nov. 5. Williams led Madison College with 13 points, while Hansen added 12.

Iowa Central Community College 82, Madison College 65
An 18-3 run to start the second half enabled Iowa Central Community College to pull away on its way to an 82-65 victory over Madison College on Nov. 4. Davis led Madison College with 19 points, while Knox added 17.