Madison College upends Finlandia University, 2-0

Second-half goals leads Madison College to victory

CLARION STAFF PHOTO

Madison College freshman midfielder Mahala Frey, right, battles a Finlandia University opponent for possession of the ball during their match on Sept. 17.

Chase DeMasi, Sports Editor

The Madison College women’s soccer team defeated Finlandia University, 2-0, at home on Sept. 16. 

The first goal came from Madison Johnson in the 20th minute of the match, her fifth goal of the season. Johnson also led the team in shots with three, two of which were on target.  

The second goal came from Kierstin McHugh, her third goal of the season, and was assisted by Grace Huber off a counterattack in the 74th minute.  

Madison College had a total of seven shots, six of which were on target. Goalkeeper Morgan Thompson saved 15 shots and picked up her second clean sheet of the season. 

After the match, Madison College head coach Matt Schwartz said that the team did a good job at tracking back defensively and playing two touch soccer.  

Schwartz also said that Savi Pursley and Lexi Kulow impressed him the most because they are “complete 360 degree players who can play anywhere and can really control the game.”  

When asked about what he thinks the team needs to work on, Schwartz said, “we still have to get a little better at recognizing our options when we have the ball and maintaining our marks defensively.” 

Madison College now stands at 5-2-1 overall and 2-0 in conference play. The team’s next home match will be against College of DuPage on Oct. 8. 

Madison College 2, Joliet 0 

Two second-half goals gave Madison College a victory at Joliet Junior College on Sept. 21. Thompson posted her second-straight shutout in goal, while Liz Foye and Johnson both scored goals for the WolfPack. Foye got Madison College’s first goal, scoring her second goal of the season off a pass from Johnson 53 minute into the match. Johnson then added a goal 21 minutes later, her team-leading sixth goal of the year.