There is still a chance for Wisconsin

Boh Suh, Staff Writer

Wisconsin fell a little short against Penn State in the season opener, 16-10 was the final score. It was a disappointing start for everyone because it was a home game against a good team, but overall, both teams’ defense did amazing jobs.  

Wisconsin quarterback Graham Mertz threw for 185 yards (22/37 completion) but threw two interceptions. On the other hand, starting running back Chez Mellusi carried 31 times for 121 yards with a touchdown. 

Mellusi is a transfer student from Clemson (2019-2020 season), and the Badger fans are delighted to see his talent. He had another 100-yard game in week two against Eastern Michigan (20 carries for 144 yards with a touchdown).  

Wisconsin is currently ranked 18th, but there are plenty of great matchups that could help the Badgers improve their ranking. The team will host three top 25 teams in No. 5 Iowa, No. 12 Notre Dame, and No. 25 Michigan.  

The loss against Penn State is disappointing, but the College Football Committee tends to forgive an early loss and focuses on how the team does at the end. If the Badgers go undefeated (I know it is a big “if”), they will have a great shot at the college playoff. It is way too early in the season, but I am hopeful. But they’ll need to take care of business against Notre Dame in two weeks first.