WolfPack women’s soccer opens season with a win

Adam Frohmader , Staff Writer

The Madison College women’s soccer team’s first game of the year was Aug. 20 at Rochester Community College. The WolfPack defeated the Yellow Jackets, 2-0, thanks to goals by Angelina Perez and Alexis Kulow.  

Last spring the team finished 4-4 in its shortened and postponed season.  

With the season now underway, The Clarion’s Adam Frohmader recently got a chance to interview the team’s head coach, Matt Schwartz.  

Q: What are your expectations for the season?   

A: We are all on the same page that winning a Region Championship is the goal along with making a run to the national tournament.  

Q: Who are your top returning players and what do you expect from them this year?  

A: We are returning a first-team all-American (Angelina Perez) and five all-region selections (Mikayla Fox, Ameila Clarquist, Elizabeth Foye, Monica Tapia-Gutierrez, and Marin Staffacher). Overall, this is a great group of second-years that have a lot to bring to the squad this season. Their experience will be critical to the team’s success.  

Q: How many incoming players do you have? What excites you about them?  

A: We have a class of nine freshmen this year. They are a very talented group that will be able to come in and immediately contribute.   

Q: How do you think the conference teams will stack up this year?  

A: That is a complete unknown to me as many colleges did not compete last season and every coach in the conference is brand new.  

Q: What do you think your team’s strengths will be this season?  

A: We will be very balanced and organized.  

Q: What will be areas of emphasis for your team this year?  

A: Discipline and organization are always at the forefront of what we try to do. Make the least amount of mistakes we can and adjust when we do make them.  

Q: How has practice looked so far this fall?  

A: Training has been productive. Getting the team out on the field together has been showing us a lot.  

Q: How does it feel returning to a full schedule this fall? What precautions are in place to help ensure that the season goes off without COVID interruptions?   

A: Everyone is very excited. We are masking and distancing when indoors and continuing to follow all personal hand washing and health guidelines.   

Q: How excited are the players to have a full season this year?  

A: Players are ready to get to work and bring a championship home.  

The women’s soccer team’s next home game will be Wednesday, Sept. 8, at 2 p.m.