WolfPack sweeps N4C Jamboree

Madison College softball team wins 8 games in tourney

Madison College sophomore Jordan Martin, right, is shown pitching during the 2019 season. Martin pitched the WolfPack to a win against defending conferene champion Rock Valley College on March 5 in the N4C Jamboree

Anica Graney, Managing Editor

The WolfPack softball team finished undefeated at the North Central Conference Dome Jamboree prior to the cancellation of its season due to the spread COVID-19.

The team faced eight teams over three days, six of which were conference foes.

Madison College opened the Jamboree on March 5 with a close win against defending conference champion Rock Valley College, 5-4. Rock Valley is the NJCAA Division III defending national champion and was ranked No. 1 in pre-season polls.

The WolfPack scored once in the third inning and four times in the fourth inning to take a 5-0 lead. The Golden Eagles rallied with four runs in the fifth inning, but were shut down the rest of the way.

Madison College sophomore Jordan Martin secured the win, pitching an impressive two-hitter and did not allow an earned run.

That same day the WolfPack faced No. 6 Joliet Junior College, with freshman Olivia Bobak going 2 for 3 at the plate and starting the game in the circle.

Bobak doubled to score Gracie Malin in the first inning, and Madison College scored two runs in the third inning and two in the fourth to take a commanding 5-0 lead.

Joliet was held at bay until the seventh inning, when it scored three runs before Lauren Green came in to close out the game and earn a save.

Facing three conference teams on March 6, the WolfPack dominated two of the games, winning in the fifth inning with run rules.

Starting the day with Milwaukee Area Technical College, sophomore Cathryn Hiller held the Stormers scoreless the entire game and struck out eight batters. Madison College had 15 total hits and ended the game with a score of 16-0.

Martin pitched against Triton College and won 2-1 after going an impressive eight innings and striking out 13 batters.

The game ended up going into extra innings after being tied at a score of 1-1. Triton scored one run at the top of the eighth, but the WolfPack was able to respond with two runs, securing the win.

Finishing up the day, the WolfPack defeated the College of DuPage 13-2 in a fifth inning run rule win.

Similar endings happened March 7 when the team faced Harper College, Elgin Community College, and Bryant and Stratton College. All of the games end with a fifth inning run-rule win.

Madison College beat Harper College, 13-1, racking up 12 hits including home runs by Malin and Anna Manke.

A 13-hit effort led Madison College to a 15-4 victory over Elgin Community College, with Malin and Abby Luczak each getting three hits.

An eight-run fourth inning powered the WolfPack past Bryant & Stratton College, 13-4.

This put the WolfPack at an 8-0 record for the start of the season.

“The team hitting was the main reason, with aggressive base running, that we were able to 10 run rule some of our opponents,” said Madison College coach Leo Kalinowski.

Kalinowski said the hard-fought scrimmages the team has had in practiced helped prepare it for the tournament.

“Many of the teams we played, it was their first games of the season, as it was ours. However, we practice off campus at times and have played a number of game-like scrimmages. This enabled us to get some of the early season bugs out. Even though it was our first regular season games, the extra team scrimmages prepped us for game-like conditions.”