Big rally ends 4-game slide for men’s team

Christina Gordon, Sports Editor

What a way to end a losing streak – by scoring 75 points in the second half to rally from a 22-point deficit.

That’s how the Madison College men’s basketball team ended its four-game skid, with a 108-95 victory over host Waubonsee Community College on Nov. 21.

Coach Jamal Palmer must have had quite a half-time speech, right?

“I didn’t really say anything” out of the ordinary, Palmer confessed, but he said the players had plenty to say and then they went out and did what needed to be done.

“I’m not really sure what was said by the guys,” he said. “This was a team we knew we could beat.” 

Madison College turned it on after halftime. The WolfPack outscored Waubonsee, 75-40 in the second half. They hit 51.2 percent of their shots. 

Five players scored in double figures for Madison College, led by Allen Robinson with 33 points. Shamar Newman had 22 points, followed by Jason Williams with 19, Malcolm Reed with 14 and Dayton Coleman 10.  Reed ended the game with 14 points, seven rebound, four assists, six steals, and one block. 

After a 2-0 start, the WolfPack have gone 2-4 in their last six games. 

“We played some pretty good talent,” Jamal Palmer said about their recent games.  “We need to get better on the defensive side, and come to compete every day and night.”

Palmer emphasized that there are no excuses.

“Being young is not an excuse, and playing against higher level teams is not an excuse.  We have to come to practice to get better, we got to come and work every day,” he said. 

Through the first three games the Madison College Men’s basketball team scored a total of 308 points since then they have scored 437 in their last five games. 

So, what has changed since the first games?

Coach Palmer believes that fatigue is setting in for the young team.

“We had a lot of games since we started it’s like we are playing every other day almost.”

With the fatigue setting in coach Palmer is focusing on a few things “school, basketball and taking care of yourself.  That is what they need to do, that is where our pride is as far as practice goes.”

At the Anoka-Ramsey Community College tournament the WolfPack went 1-1.  Against the host Anoka-Ramsey the WolfPack went on to win 103-88. 

Madison College sophomore Davion Washington led all scores with 31 points and also grabbed 12 rebounds for his first career double-double. 

The second game of the tournament was a close one between St. Cloud Technical & Community College tied at 99-99 at the end of regulation Madison College would go on to lose the game in overtime, 114-111. Robinson led the WolfPack in scoring with a career 38 points. 

On Nov. 12, Madison College would go on to lose another close game, this time against host Sauk Valley Community College, 79-71. Robinson once again led the WolfPack in scoring having a game high 21. 

Madison College continued its road trip on Nov. 16 when faced Carl Sandburg College and fell, 80-60.  The WolfPack were down by 20 at half and could not rally back.

Back at home Madison College played host to the College of Lake County on Nov. 19.  Tied at the half way mark Madison College would of eventually run out of gas in the close-fought game, losing 94-87.