1-0 loss to Harper College ends season for WolfPack men’s soccer

Christina Gordon, Sports Editor

A pair of one-goal games decided the Madison College men’s soccer team’s fate in the NJCAA Region IV tournament.

Third-seeded Madison College beat sixth-seeded Joliet Junior College, 2-1, in overtime to open the tournament on Oct. 19, but lost to second-seeded Harper College, 1-0, in the next game.

Against Joliet, Madison College trailed, 1-0, at halftime. It took the WolfPack to the 89-minute mark to tie the game up 1-1.   Andy Mendez-Maya scored the tying goal assisted by Lucas Martin-Heid. 

Going into over time the WolfPack had the momentum and it only took them just over a minute to score the game winning goal at the 91-minute mark, when Martin-Heid scored assisted by Pablo Guzman.  Soph. Saxon LaFlash started in goal playing all 90 minutes having one save and allowing one goal.

The game winner by Martin-Heid allowed the WolfPack to advance to the semifinal round where they would face Harper College, on Oct. 22 in Palatine, Ill. 

In the game, the WolfPack were not able to get on the board and ended their season losing to Harper, 1-0.  The WolfPack were outshot, 22-2, in the game.  LaFlash started in goal playing all 90 minutes having 15 saves.

LaFlash’s 15 saves tied Ian Murphy’s 2012 record.  LaFlash finished the season having played in 13 games with 53 saves and one shut out. 

The WolfPack finished the season having an overall record of 7-7-2. 

Madison College’s regular season ended with three straight road games.

The WolfPack traveled to La Salles, Ill., on Oct. 9, to face Illinois Valley and lost a close game 1-0.  It took almost the whole game for anyone to score, Illinois Valley scored at the 89-minute mark to win the game.  The WolfPack had chances to get on the board but were not able to get the ball past Illinois Valley’s goalkeeper. 

The WolfPack had eight shots on goal with freshman Samuka Toure having three shots on goal.  Fellow freshman Bubacarr Bah was close behind Toure with two shots on goal, with freshmen Bobby Urey, Mendez-Maya, and sophomore Ben Saric all having one shot on goal. 

Sophomore Msughter Abel Dzoho got the start in goal and played all 90 minutes having seven saves and allowing one goal.

For the second game in a row, the WolfPack lost a close game 1-0 this time to Rock Valley College on Oct. 12.  The WolfPack were outshot in the game 14-6.  Guzman and Toure both had one shot on goal for the WolfPack.  Sophomore Saxon LaFlash got the start in goal playing all 90 minutes, having six saves and allowing one goal.

The WolfPack men’s soccer team got back to their winning ways on Oct. 17, when they traveled to Oak Creek to face Milwaukee Area Technical College, winning the game 6-0.

Freshman Omar Torres and Mendez-Maya both had two goals, while sophomores Lucas Martin-Heid and Saric both had one.  LaFlash started in goal playing 45 minutes having two saves and not allowing a goal, Dzoho came in to start the second half and played 33 minutes, freshman Sebastian Varela came in to replace Dzoho and played the last 11 minutes.  Dzoho and Varela keep the shut out alive.