WolfPack men’s soccer team falls to third in conference

Christina Gordon / Clarion

Madison College men’s soccer player Muhammed Sallah (3) heads the ball away from an opponent during a recent match at Goodman Pitch East.

Christina Gordon, Sports Editor

The WolfPack men’s soccer team stands at 5-5-2 overall and 3-4-1 in the N4C conference, good enough for third in the conference behind Harper College and Triton College.  Both Harper and Triton are ranked in the top 10 for NJCAA Division III. 

Madison College’s winning streak ended when  Triton College traveled to Madison on Sept. 28 and beat the WolfPack, 4-2.

The WolfPack were able to get on the board first when freshman Bobby Urey scored at the 8-minute, 28-second mark, assisted by freshman Samuka Toure. 

The WolfPack were able to hold Triton College scoreless for the first 32 minutes, as freshman goalkeeper Sebastian Varela was able to save four shots from getting in the net.

But Triton College scored three straight goals to end the half, taking a 3-1 lead.

During the second half, the WolfPack would hold Triton College to one goal as sophomore Saxon LaFlash came into the game and only allowed one goal and had one save.  The WolfPack were able to cut into the lead when freshman Bubacarr Bah scored in the 88-minute mark assisted by freshman Andy Mendez-Maya, but they were unable to get any closer. 

On Oct. 2, the WolfPack faced another ranked team.  This time the WolfPack were up against Harper College and fell, 5-1.

The WolfPack were not able to get on the board until the 52nd minute, when Toure scored an unassisted goal.  LaFlash started in goal and gave up one goal while having two saves in 36 minutes.  Fellow sophomore Msughter Abel Dzoho came into the game to finish the first half and played the entire second half. In 54 minutes Abel Dzoho allowed four goals and had four saves. 

The game marked the final home game for five of the WolfPack players.  The WolfPack sophomores included goalkeeper LaFlash, defense/midfield Ben Saric, defense Evan Bartz, defense/midfield Sam Bradfield, and goalkeeper Abel Dzoho. 

A road trip to Illinois Valley Community College on Oct. 8 brought a third-straight loss for madison College.

The WolfPack were not able to get on the board against Illinois Valley, and lost 1-0.

It was a goalkeeper heavy game, with the only score coming at the 89 minute, 13 second mark.  Abel Dzoho got the start at goal for the WolfPack and played all 90 minutes, allowing the one late goal but saving seven shots. 

The WolfPack had many chances to get on the board with eight shots on goal, including three by Toure.   

Madison College ends the season on the road.  The WolfPack will travel to Rockfor, Ill., on Oct. 12 to face Rock Valley College.  The final regular-season game will be in Oak Creek on Oct. 17 against Milwaukee Area Technical College.  Two days later the NJCAA Region IV Tournament will start.