Volleyball falls to 6-3 in conference

Christina Gordon, Sports Editor

The Madison College volleyball team now stands at 6-3 in N4C conference play and 12-15 overall after having won two of its last four  matches.

On Oct. 1, the WolfPack traveled to Palatine, Ill.,  to face rivals Harper College.  The WolfPack fought a long hard battle but were not able to come up with the victory, losing in four sets, 25-19, 25-19, 25-19, 25-23.

The WolfPack were led by freshman middle blocker Sidni Walgurski with 11 kills and a career high five blocks as of the game. The WolfPack back court came alive with freshman Jaidyn Lange and sophomore Cathleen Flannery having a total of 37 digs between the two. Lange had 19, and Flannery had 18. 

The Oct. 3 match at home against the College of DuPage saw the two teams play to a fifth set for the second time this season.

The WolfPack came out with a bang winning the first set 25-6 and the second set 25-20, before losing the next three. The fourth set went into extra points, but Madison College lost, 31-29. The fifth set was just as close, but the WolfPack fell, 15-13.

Madison College was led by sophomore Samantha Kessenich with 13 kills.  Flannery and Lange once again led the WolfPack back court with 14 and 12 digs respectively.  Walgurski led the team in blocks with a career high seven. 

The WolfPack got back to their winning ways when they traveled to Plymouth, Wis., on Oct. 7 to face the Lakeland University JV.  It took four sets for the WolfPack to come up with the win, ,27-29, 25-17, 25-20, 25-18.

Kessenich once again had 13 kills to lead the team, with Flannery close behind with 12.  Lange and Flannery have made their presence known in the back court for the WolfPack once again having a combined 32 digs.  Lange had 20 kills making that her new career high.  Flannery had 12 digs to go with her 12 kills making it her first career double-double. 

One short day later the WolfPack were back in Madison to face in state rival Milwaukee Area Technical College Stormers.  The WolfPack swept the Stormers in three straight sets, 25-23, 25-10, 25-16. The WolfPack were led by Walgurski once again in the front court, with seven kills.  Lange led the team with 16 digs.  The WolfPack had eight aces as a team, with four WolfPack members each having two aces apiece.

The WolfPack have one home game left when they face Joliet Junior College on Oct. 15 before traveling to Rock Valley College on Oct. 17 and Triton College on Oct. 22. The NJCAA Region IV Tournament begins on Oct. 30.