Golf team is on the upswing

WolfPack golfers continue to improve this fall with every competition

Christina Gordon/Clarion

Madison College golfer AJ Gray chips the ball toward the green during a recent match at the Texas Roadhouse Madison College Invitational on Sept. 7.

Christina Gordon, Sports Editor

The Madison College golf team has been steadily improving since their first invite on August 23.  The WolfPack golf team started out the season with a seventh-place finish at the Highland “36” Invitational in Freeport, IL. The WolfPack had a consistent two days at the Highland “36” Invite, finishing the first day with a team total of 338. The second day of the invite the WolfPack also finished with 338 for a team total of 676.

Freshman AJ Gray finished tied for 12th place with a score of 159 for the two days. Freshman Matt Hach was not far behind finishing tied for 22nd place with a score of 163 for the two days.  Gray finished the invite 15 strokes above par, while Hach finished 19 strokes above par. 

After the Highland “36” Invite the WolfPack Golf team looked to improve at the Culver’s Edgewood College Fall Classic in Janesville, Wisconsin. Hach had a team best finish with a two-day total of 154, 12 strokes above par and finishing in a 32nd place tied. The WolfPack finished with a team total of 647 placing them 18th place. 

“We’re progressing, our goal is to improve from week to week,” said Adam Eichstedt assistant golf coach. That is just what the WolfPack were able to do. The WolfPack were able to knock off 29 strokes from their last invite.

The next invite that the WolfPack would go to they wouldn’t have to travel far. On Sept. 7 the WolfPack hosted the Texas Roadhouse Madison College Invitational, an eight team invite at Hawks Landing in Verona Wisconsin. Gray had a team best finish ending the home invite with a score of 78 only four strokes above par. Gray’s 78 was able to get him into the top ten, tying for sixth place. 

One short day after the Madison College’s home invite the WolfPack took a trip to Eau Claire for the Bluegold Invitational. The two day invite in Eau Claire had the WolfPack facing some really good NCAA Division III teams from all over Wisconsin, Minnesota, and a team from Nebraska. 

Freshman Ryan Beck finished the first day of the invite with a score of 78 six strokes above par. Beck’s 78 placed him in a six-way tie for 34th place after the first day of the invite. As a team the WolfPack finished the first day of the invite in 15th place. The second day of the invite the WolfPack improved to 14th place as a team, and had Hach have a team best performance with a score of 79, eight strokes above par and tied for 46th place. 

Ryan Beck and Ethan Churchill are two players that are showing the most improvement.

“Ryan Beck because has a gap year in playing,” said Eichstedt “Ethan Churchill didn’t play a lot his senior year at Sun Prairie, so they both are trying to bet back to where they want to be.”

The WolfPack have only four invites left before the NJCAA division IV tournament starts on Oct. 3 for a three-day tournament, in Byron, Illinois. 

When asked what he thinks his team needs to work on for the regional tournament Adam Eichstedt said “we need to get our scores lower, if we can get one less stroke per hole per player, we should be good.”  Adam Eichstedt also emphasized “smart decision making” and being “smart with our shot selections.”

After the regional tournament there will be a break before the national tournament in New York on June 2-5. For the WolfPack to qualify for the National tournament the WolfPack would have to pass the College of DuPage and possibly Elgin College.

“We would love to have the whole team there, but there is always a possibility for one or more of the guys to have a good three days and have a chance to play at nationals,” said Eichstedt.