Madison College fall athletes sweep N4C most valuable player honors

Joseph Craker, Sports Editor

The National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) has recognized two worthy Madison College student-athletes for their contributions during the fall seasons with First-Team All-American honors.  These student-athletes include outside hitter Paige Hostetler for her incredible display of ability in volleyball, and midfielder Peyton Trapino for her prolific output on the soccer pitch.  

Furthermore, the duo have been joined by striker Dejesus Herrera in making history as the first school to sweep the North Central Community College Conference (N4C) Most Valuable Player awards for every fall sport.

Paige Hostetler became the 15th player in Madison College volleyball history to receive an All-American team placement, and just the fifth to be named N4C Most Valuable Player.

The outside hitter broke a WolfPack record with 443 kills in 2018, which was good enough for second in the nation.  Her career kills total now sits at 695, which is 79 more than the previous record.  Hostetler also showed that she is an asset well-beyond her work at the net, as she finished second on the team in terms of aces (51) and digs (220).  She will be remembered for her time at Madison College as a consistent offensive force to be reckoned with.

One of only two midfielders in the nation to have been given an All-American nod from the NJCAA, Peyton Trapino’s ability from the center of the pitch will deservedly go down in history as well.  In 2018, she became the first player in WolfPack women’s soccer history to receive the All-American honor as well as N4C MVP.

Trapino procured 23 assists during the season, enough for second in the nation and the single season record at Madison College.  This surpassed her mark from the previous season at 20, placing her on top of the list of career assists at Madison College with 43.  Her record is more than double the second-placed Katie Travis, whose career 21 assist mark set in the 2015-16 season is no small feat itself.  

Furthermore, Trapino notched multiple assist matches five times over the course of the season.  She also proved her ability to put the ball in the back of the net this year, scoring 14 goals, the second-highest accumulation on the team.  

Her ability to dominate the middle of the pitch during her time with the WolfPack has been a spectacle.

Dejesus Herrera joined the pair as Madison College claimed all three N4C MVP honors.

This year, Herrera smashed the 37 year-old single-season goal scoring record by 4, scoring 23 goals over the course of 15 matches this year.  He also tied the previous record for total points in a season at 51.

Congratulations to Hostetler, Trapino, and Herrera for their worthy MVP and All-American caliber seasons.