WolfPack men’s basketball team off to a 3-5 start on the season

ALFRED DAVIS / CLARION

Madison College men’s basketball player DeAngelo Jones sets up for a shot against Rochester Community College on Nov. 20.

Tomaz Farina Escosteguy, Staff Writer

The Madison College men’s basketball team has been busy lately. They have played 3 games at home, at H. Douglas Redsten Gymnasium, and one at Elgin, Illinois. With these four games played in 14 days, the WolfPack’s record is now 3-5 (2-2 at home, 1-2 away, and 0-1 in neutral venues).

The WolfPack’s first game was against Carl Sandburg College. Even though the ‘Pack was strong after halftime, scoring the same amount as the Chargers, the first half difference of 12 points cost the game for Madison College, which fell 89-77.

There were some differences in the squad too: Jalen Addison, the team’s scoring leader with 17 points a game, started on the bench for the first time in the season. Freshman Bryce Moore started in his place and contributed 9 points, while shooting 3 out of 4 from the 3-point line. Still, only Addison and Adam Anhold scored in double digits, with 18 and 12 respectively.

But the ‘Pack were ready to respond after the home loss.

In a 94-62 win over Rochester Community & Technical College, the team put on a show.  Five starters scored in double digits and 10 players scored at least once. The game which had started quite closely went Madison College’s way due to the amazing performance of the group.

Madison College’s Jalen Addison reaches around an opponent for a shot during a recent game.
ALFRED DAVIS / CLARION

Sophomore Addison came back to the starting line-up and dropped 15, while shooting 5 of 7 from the field, with three 3-pointers.  Guard Sean Suchomel also represented, scoring a game-high 21 points and hitting 57 percent of his shots. Nathaniel Buss, Alex Easterday, and Anhold also contributed in the blowout win, with 13, 12 and 10 points, respectively. Coming off of the bench DeAngelo Jones left his mark, with 9 points and 5-6 from the free throw line.

After the relaxed win, chaos ensued.

It came by way of a super competitive game between Madison College and Bryant & Stratton College that the WolfPack lost, 84-82. The contest presented 13 lead changes and was even until the 2-minute mark, when the Bobcats got out to a six-point lead.  But the WolfPack played hard defense and was able to even the score with 8 seconds to play through two baskets from Anhold, who had a double-double with 10 rebounds and a career-high 28 points, and one Buss, who dropped 21 himself.

But, on the last possession with only eight seconds on the clock, the game would have an unexpected end. Suchomel had the ball on offense, but it was deflected and led to a steal and a buzzer-beater win for Bryant and Stratton College.

After that, Madison College traveled to Elgin, Illinois, where they faced Elgin Community College. Sadly, again, the WolfPack was not able to secure the win, losing by 90-81.

Their next game is against UW-Waukesha on Dec. 10 in Madison.  Tip off is at 7:30 p.m.