Women’s soccer team sets sights on nationals

Peyton+Trapino

Peyton Trapino takes the ball upfield for the Madison College women’s soccer team during a scrimmage in August 2018.

Andrew Kicmol, Editor in Chief

The Madison College women’s soccer team will have 14 incoming players this season and will look to build on the success that last year’s team had.

Last season, the team experienced many firsts, including the first N4C title in program history and its first-ever NJCAA Region IV title and its first trip to the NJCAA Division III National Championships.

The incoming players features three defenders, six midfielders, two forwards and two goalkeepers. There will be some scorers added, with three players scoring more than 25 goals in their high school careers.

Olivia Griffin, a forward, scored 29 goals at Deerfield High School. Mary Raemisch, a midfielder,  scored 31 goals for Lodi High School, while Meghan Petroski, another midfielder, had 40 goals over her career at Watertown High School.

New goalie Kelly Kubicek will have big cleats to fill. Last year’s keeper, Brandie Gospodarek, won 14 games made 87 saves and had a goals-against average of 0.75. Kubicek will be prepared, as she played last year at Oregon High School and helped her team to back-to-back appearances at the WIAA Division II Girls Soccer Tournament. She only allowed three goals in 14 matches during her career.

Along with the incoming players, the WolfPack will have five returning players including Britt Schumann who led the team with 25 goals last season. Peyton Trapino led the team in assists last year with 20 and also tied for second in goals with 12, along with Esther Noriega.

The success of last year’s team will be hard to replicate, the team set a record in wins with 15, a 4.56 goals average per game and had 316 more shots than their opponents, but with scoring leaders returning for another year the team should be good shape.

The women’s soccer team had a friendly scrimmage against Bryant and Stratton College on Wednesday, Aug. 22, on Goodman Pitch, and will have their first regular season game against rival Rock Valley College Aug. 29 at 4 p.m. in Rockford, Ill. The first home game will be Sept. 7 against Harper.