Women’s basketball team gains experience against strong foes

Ethan Maurice, Staff Writer

The WolfPack women’s basketball team returned from the Anoka-Ramsey Tournament with one win and one loss, and a lot of valuable experience.

A win over hosts Anoka-Ramsey, followed by a loss to St. Cloud Technical Community College completed the Wolfpack’s first weekend tournament.

The WolfPack played solid defense against Anoka-Ramsey, and Meghan Corcoran led the way with 26 points en route to a 53-49 WolfPack victory, their first of the season.

Going 11 for 12 from the free throw line and making three from 3-point range, Corcoran provided almost half of the WolfPack’s 53 points. Caitlyn Gilbertson also made all of her eight free throws, and had four other baskets, as well as 10 rebounds.

The Anoka Rams are not the best team that the WolfPack have seen all season, but for the freshman-heavy WolfPack, all experience is good experience. It’s also important to get their first win.

Down by 6 points with 6:36 to play, the WolfPack locked down on defense at the end of the game. They allowed only 3 more points the rest of the game, while scoring 13 of their own, to win the game.

The second game, against St. Cloud Technical and Community College was a tough loss for a WolfPack squad facing their first back-to-back games of the season.

They lost by a score of 80-73, which is their closest loss of the season. There were some positives to take from this game however, including Meghan Corcoran’s 30 points. She shot 5 of 9 from 3-point range, which is her best of the season.

Jaylin Stueber played her best game of the season so far, pulling down 18 rebounds, seven of which came on the offensive end. The freshman out of Madison East will go into the WolfPack record book, tied for seventh highest rebounding game in WolfPack history.

While the WolfPack had a better shooting percentage, The St. Cloud Cyclones put up almost 25 more shots than Madison. They seemed to foul the WolfPack on every play, and the WolfPack just couldn’t keep up their free throw numbers. This was their worst game from the line, going only 55 percent.

Free throw shooting is usually a strong spot, but it ended up costing the WolfPack in this game.

Madison College next home game is Dec. 2 against Elgin Community College at 1 p.m. It will be the annual faculty appreciation game.