A season to remember:Women’s soccer team ends year with close losses, but sets record for most victories

Bailey Ayres, Sports Editor

The WolfPack women’s soccer team made their first trip to nationals in program history this season. The team lost both games, but making into the final eight in the nation was an accomplishment they’ll never forget.

The season was the best in program history, with a record of 15-3-2. The WolfPack were undefeated at home.

“The players that were able to accomplish this great achievement will be remembered forever. I feel very proud of the work they put in to get us to this point,” said coach Matthew Schwartz. “This will put our program on the national stage and give us more exposure and credibility with future recruits. It’s a really big deal.”

The first game Madison College played in the national tournament was against Delta College (Michigan). The WolfPack got shutout in a 2-0 loss. With Erin True taking two shots on goal while Abby Meehan, Sarah Hamiltion, and Peyton Trapino all had one shot on goal. Goalie Brandie Gospodarek had seven saves.

In their final game at nationals, Madison College took on Nassau Community College (New York). The game was played in 20 degrees in 25 miles per hour winds, and with snow. The WolfPack fell, 2-1. Trapino scored the only goal of the game for the WolfPack, and the goal was unassisted. Gospodarek made six saves, then Madison Krohn stepping into the goalie position and made three saves.

As a result of their excellent season, several members of the Madison College women’s soccer team have received post-season awards.

Trapino received all tournament honors for her efforts in the national tournament. Seven players received all-conference honors. Britt Schumann and Trapino were named first team All-North Central Community College Conference and All-Region IV. Annabelle Shere was named first team all-region and second team all-conference. Gospodarek and Esther Noriega were named second team all-conference and all-region. Meehan was named second team all-region. True was named Region IV Tournament Most Valuable Player.

“The thing that made this team so special is the level of talent I was able to bring together was very high, but more importantly they were very motivated and never gave up. This group was a group of fighters that didn’t know how to quit,” said Schwartz.

This year the team built with mainly freshmen, so there is a lot to look forward to next year, including hopes for another run at nationals.

“I feel like the team will always have the goal of making a return trip to the national tournament,” Schwartz said. “Next year our returning players will be motivated to get back and take another shot at winning a championship.”