Madison College’s 2nd-ranked volleyball team off to another strong start

Celia Blau / Clarion

Madison College’s Lori Sanders, left, hits the ball through the block of two opponents during a recent match.

Andrew Kicmol, Staff Writer

First year head coach Ashley Davis comes into this season facing high expectations and so far, the volleyball team is having a strong season.

The home opener and family night for the WolfPack volleyball team was Aug. 31. Invited friends and family got to watch the WolfPack win in convincing fashion over the College of DuPage, three sets to none.

“I was very pleased with how we maintained our side of the court and took care of business on our side,” said Davis of the win. Megan Corcoran was a standout player, something that was noted by Davis.

“This was a very strong night for her… It was one of her most consistent nights,” Davis said.

Corcoran, a sophomore, had 14 kills and three blocks to lead the team in both categories. Freshman Paige Hostetler added seven kills and one block.

With the win in hand, players and family had a small reception afterwards where players would talk with their parents in front of the team, allowing parents especially, to get to know the other players on the team as well as other parents.

“I know the parents love it, they get an opportunity to meet everyone in the crowd that they’ve just seen for a couple of matches so far,” Davis said.

The WolfPack has continued its strong play into September, winning all four matches it played in a weekend tournament at the College of DuPage Invitational in Illinois.

The winning streak extended to nine matches with a win on the road over Triton College on Sept. 5 and a home victory against the Clarke University JV team on Sept. 7, improving the Madison College record to 11-2. The only losses came to Division II teams early in the season.

Madison College will be the road for one game against Milwaukee Area Technological College on Sept 13 before heading to Minnesota for the Rochester CTC Invitational for four games on Sept. 15-16. The WolfPack are currently ranked No. 2 in the NJCAA Division III poll.