Men’s soccer closes season with 6 wins in a row

Ethan Maurice, Staff Writer

Six wins in a row, especially in soccer means you must be doing something right.

And riding into the playoffs on a hot streak is something that most teams want to do.

The Madison College men’s soccer team is doing just that, having conceded only two goals over its last seven regular-season games.

After a first-round playoff win over rival Milwaukee Area Technical College, the WolfPack look to build on their playoff success.

Next up is the Regional IV Tournament Semifinal on Oct. 19, where the WolfPack will still be the favorites. Don’t look for the game to be as easy as the first round of the playoffs, as the competition gets more challenging the farther you advance in the tournament.

Madison College (12-1-2, overall) has not lost a game in 35 days – over half the season. In that time, the WolfPack have only allowed three goals.

Sophomore Ryan Henry has scored five goals in the past three games, and has been playing a key defensive role, anchoring the back line along with Bobby Bedeaut. The pair make up the stingiest back line in the playoffs, with only 14 goals conceded in 16 regular season games, for a 0.88 goal per game ratio. Another credit goes to first year goalkeeper Juan Martiniez, who has played with confidence.

The saying goes that strong defense wins championships. However, on the back of a four goal per game offense, the WolfPack have played in many more blowouts than close games, with their average margin of victory being between six and seven goals.

Team leader Toby Andrews (13 goals) has been in fine form in front of net, as well as twin brother Jake Andrews (11) and center/forward Christian Munoz (11). The WolfPack’s ability to win the ball in the opponent’s side of the field and score on the break, along with the willingness to pass the ball creating possession, makes the team’s attack very intimidating.

A bright spot for the WolfPack has been the addition of freshman Bachirou Lo, a native Senegalise, who has added nine goals as well as two assists. Coming off the bench in all but four games, Lo has been able to make a massive impact with a limited amount of minutes.  The passing ability to set up a break, combined with electric pace on the wing, makes Lo the perfect complement to the force Munoz provides inside the 18-yard box.

The WolfPack seem to be a solid team, excelling in technique and brimming with enthusiasm. The last deep playoff run the WolfPack made was in 2007 and ended in a loss in the district title game against Richland (Texas) College. Madison College’s program has gone through a tough time since then, but this year’s one-loss team has reason for optimism about tournament play.