Men’s soccer team faces tough test to end season

Ethan Maurice, Staff Writer

A recent string of quality performances have the Madison College men’s soccer team riding a wave of momentum into a critical game with Triton College, which will take place Oct. 5 at Warner Park.

Four straight shutouts for goal keeper Juan Martinez, along with 18 goals in their past three games attests to the fact that the WolfPack is developing into one of the region’s best teams.

Toby Andrews and Christian Munoz have led the offensive attack. Andrews has tallied 11 goals, while Munoz has scored 10. The teams’ defense is led by veterans Bobby Beaudet and Ryan Henry.
A team with a very respectable 8-1-2 record seemingly doesn’t have much to fear, but Madison College’s next game won’t be easy.

Madison College’s only loss this season came to Triton College, the opponent in their next contest. If Coach Corey Sims and his players can come away from that game with a win, they will be in prime position to win the conference.

“It’s always been our goal to win conference,” said forward Christian Munoz, a sophomore. As right now, the WolfPack lead the conference. However, a loss to Triton could drop them to third place, behind both Triton and Harper College.

To make sure of the top spot in the North Central Community College Conference (N4C), the WolfPack require a win. Their unbeaten record at home of four wins and one tie, will be put to the test this week. If it remains perfect, Madison College would finish on top of the N4C, something the squad has never achieved.

Madison College has been on quite a run since its scoreless tie against Harper College on Sept. 23. The WolfPack beat Elgin Community College, 9-0, on Sept. 25. It followed that game with a 5-0 victory over Rock Valley College on Sept. 28. Finally, it beat Joliet Junior College, 4-0, on Sept. 30.

Madison College has really had a big year, and winning the conference would be a perfect way to cap that off. Having finished no higher than fourth in the past five years, this year could really represent a turn in the quality of the program.

With a win against Triton College or against Milwaukee Area Technical College on Oct. 7, Madison College will be able to boast a seven win season, the team’s best total since 2008. The Wolfpack is looking to carry some momentum into the playoffs, which begin on the weekend of Oct. 15.