WolfPack men’s basketball now 7-1

Madison College guard Brian Bearden plays defense during a recent game.

Frederic Hewitt, Sports Editor

Eight games into the season, the Madison College men’s basketball team has only one blemish on its record, making the team 7-1 overall.

The team’s only loss came five games into the season, a 75-67 defeat at the hand of the Elgin Community College Spartans on Nov. 22. Since then, the WolfPack has posted two consecutive wins.

Madison College’s most recent win was against Western Technical College, with the WolfPack beating the Cavaliers handily, 91-63.  The WolfPack held the Cavs to just a 39 percent shooting, including just 18 percent from beyond the arc.

The WolfPack, on the other hand, shot a remarkable percentage as a team from both the field and the three-point line, with a respectable 51.5 percent from the field and 47 percent from deep. The team also dominated in the paint, outscoring Western Technical College, 48-30.

Not a single player from Western Tech had double digits in scoring, rebounding, or assists, exemplifying a stellar defensive performance overall from the WolfPack.

Antowan Epps led the way in points for the WolfPack, compiling a stat-line of 18 total points, six assists, and four rebounds.

Jerrod Walton, the WolfPack’s leading scorer on the season, averaging 17 points per game, was limited to just 11 points on the evening.  He contributed in other facets of the game, adding six rebounds, five assists, and two steals.  Simeon Pooler had another noteworthy performance for the WolfPack, scoring 15 total points and nailing three 3-pointers.

On Nov. 25, the WolfPack scored perhaps its most impressive win of the season, upsetting No. 2 ranked Rochester Community and Technical College, 69-67.

Sophomore guard Tanner Schieve played a crucial role in the winning, hitting 7 of 10 free throws in the game including one with 35 seconds left to give the WolfPack a late lead. He finished the game with 11 points, three rebounds and three steals.

Walton led the game in scoring with 14 points and recorded a double-double by adding 11 rebounds. Brian Bearden also came up big for the WolfPack, scoring 10 points.

As the WolfPack continues into the heart of the regular season, they’ve proven that they’re a force to be reckoned with.  The team has outscored its opponents 648-561 on the year, and with three players averaging over 10 points, five rebounds, and two assists per game, they should be able to continue that same success they’ve had so far.