Radon gas a hidden danger in homes

Iman Alrashid , Copy Editor

Radon is a chemical element with the symbol Rn and atomic number 86. It is a radioactive, colorless, odorless, tasteless noble gas. 

Because radon is odorless and colorless, it is impossible to know if your home or office is polluted unless you have it tested or have an ongoing radon detector. 

I think having a radon detector in our houses or offices is important because radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer. Breathing radon over time increases your risk of lung cancer. 

 Radon is responsible for about 21,000 lung cancer deaths every year. About 2,900 of these deaths occur among people who have never smoked. 

Radon production is a natural process that occurs as the radioactive elements in the rocks and soil decay. So, the soil below the house is what causes high radon levels. 

Outdoors, radon disperses rapidly and is not a health issue. But the big concern is when radon exposure occurs inside homes, schools and workplaces. 

Radon gas becomes trapped indoors after it enters buildings through cracks and other holes in the foundation; since a house is a confined space, often completely covered, the gas gets trapped in. 

Take a step to reduce and control the amount of radon in your home. Testing is the only way to determine radon levels. 

Regarding your safety and health, radon detectors are just as important as smoke detectors or inflammable gas monitors. Testing for radon is simple and the sure way to keep you and your family safe at home.