Protect yourself from the flu by getting your vaccine now

Its never too late to get vaccinated. Flu cases are on the rise nationally. Getting your shot now could protect you from getting seriously ill.

Tribune News Service

It’s never too late to get vaccinated. Flu cases are on the rise nationally. Getting your shot now could protect you from getting seriously ill.

Coffi Fadonougbo, Staff Writer

Flu season is upon us, and statistics from the Center for Disease Control show just how much of an impact the virus can have on daily life.
The CDC says that the flu has resulted in 9 million to 41 million illnesses, 140,000 to 710,000 hospitalizations and 12,00 to 52,000 deaths annually between 2010 and 2020.
The burden of the flu in the United States can vary widely and is determined by several factors, including the characteristics of circulating viruses, the timing of the season, how well the vaccine is working to protect against illness and how many people got vaccinated.
While the effect of the flu varies, it places a substantial burden on the health of people in the United States each year. According to the CDC, the flu is defined as a contagious respiratory illness caused by the influenza viruses that infect the nose, throat and sometimes the lungs. It can cause mild to severe illness, and at times can lead to death.
Every year, Madison College provides free flu shots for students to help them stay healthy. This past fall, the college held free flu shot clinics at its campuses from Oct. 4 through Oct. 17.
Aurel Z., a student in the Information Technology Program, was one of those who got a flu shot offered by the college.
“It’s a good opportunity for us to quickly get the shot,” she said. “I really appreciate that Madison College does this every year … I wish, and I hope all Madison College students can do the same thing as me and get their flu shot.”
No one wants to miss class because of an illness and having your flu shot can help protect you from getting severely ill from the virus.
It’s not too late to get your flu shot now. Although they’re no longer available on campus, most pharmacies in the area still offer affordable flu shots for customers.