Vaping’s appeal to youth may bring about restrictions

Casey Anderson, Opinion Editor

With the heavy advertising and release of the Juul in 2015, vaping became a sensationalized activity that was extremely popular amongst teenagers and young adults.

In high schools, it was easy to catch a student hiding a Juul up their sleeve during class or even taking frequent bathroom breaks to Juul.

It became such a widespread phenomenon that Juuling became a social activity, students and young adults sharing and passing around their vapes when at parties or social gatherings.

But with the instantaneous enjoyment felt due to the high nicotine content of these Juuls, came a downfall and crash.

Recently, in the news, there have been reports of young adults and teens being hospitalized all over the country due to health issues related to vaping.

According to CBS News, “Wisconsin’s Department of Health confirmed 12 cases of patients who are experiencing lung damage as a result of vaping.”

Reports of people claiming lung damage and medical issues began becoming so common and spread amongst the media, that Juul reached a deal with the FDA to ban flavored e-cigarette such as mango, fruit, cucumber, and creme. The Juul company also announced that it would suspend all advertisements for their product in the United States.

As for now, Juul is in a state of flux – the company is awaiting approval from the FDA, which is a lengthy process that could take months or even years.

Personally, I believe the company made the right decision to stop advertising and also ban flavors that are marketed towards a younger population.

Unfortunately, the damage has already been done, while people are still experiencing the medical consequences of high dosage nicotine and addiction.