Meet the new arts and cultures editor

Tessa Morhardt / Clarion

Hailey Griffin is the new arts and cultures editor at The Clarion.

Hailey Griffin, Arts Editor

I’ve always thought that names that could be spelled in three or more ways were overcompensating. The name Hailey, which can be spelled in at least five different ways, demonstrates overcompensation at its finest.

Griffin, however, is a unique counterpart to my first name. What could be cooler than a last name that represents a mythical half-lion, half-eagle creature? When I was growing up, it was only natural that my nickname was something along the lines of Gryffindor; there isn’t much creativity to play on with a simple name like “Hailey.”

I’m Hailey Griffin and I’m going to tell you a little bit about myself.

I grew up in a small town called Waterloo that is located about 30 minutes northeast of Madison. Because the Waterloo community consisted of only 3,000 people, almost everyone knew each other. I graduated with all of the kids I had known since kindergarten. Around the time I became a teenager, I stepped out of the confines of my small town and started to hang out in Madison. I met new people from the Madison area at my previous job and at concerts. Concerts still play a large part in my life today; they are a wonderful way to step out of your comfort zone and meet new people.

Another way to meet new people is through travel. Since I was a kid, my family and I have traveled to various places throughout the United States every summer. Each of these vacations have introduced me to something or someone special. For example, last summer I went to Southern California for the first time. I connected with people on the Venice Beach boardwalk, in the city of Long Beach, and in the various restaurants and shops that we visited around L.A. The first time I traveled by myself was to go visit my best friend in Monterrey, Mexico. It was a truly momentous experience that I would relive if I ever got the chance to. It is always refreshing to see how people interact outside of the Midwest, and how an area’s culture is reflected in its environment and architecture. Travel is something I want to continue throughout my life, although it does require lots of money. Skateboarding is a cheap, alternative option to travel.

A few years ago, I decided to teach myself how to navigate a skateboard. Skateboarding has been a part of my life since then. The thing I enjoy the most about skateboarding is that no matter how many times I fall, I can pick myself back up and try again. Skateboarding is a physical outlet for other types of pain I may be experiencing in my life; I can use my pain to enhance my skateboarding technique.

After I take that initial fall, I realize that I can only advance from there. Nothing else matters at that moment besides pushing myself towards what I want to accomplish. I suppose one could say that I get into “the zone.”

Besides skateboarding and traveling, a couple of things that interest me are reading and writing. There have been many instances where literature has influenced my outlook on life. My indulgence in different novels and articles, whether they be fictional or informative, has given me a better understanding of myself and others. In the recent past, I’ve realized that I want to be able to give the same effect to other readers and writers. This realization has influenced my decision to pursue a career in journalism. In the near future, I would like to study journalism abroad in several different countries. Once I’m established, I’d like to travel various places outside of the country. Gathering opinions outside of my realm is very important to me.

I decided to enroll in the Liberal Arts Transfer Program at Madison Area Technical College after I graduated from Waterloo Highschool. Madison Area Technical College has allowed me to expand my networks in the Madison area. Before the Fall semester began, I started to host and serve at a new restaurant on East Washington Avenue. Both my current job and MATC have introduced me to several opportunities and several wonderful people.

In order to gain more experience in the field of journalism, I joined The Clarion. I’m excited to further contribute to the Clarion’s publications for the remainder of my time at Madison Area Technical College. Upon the completion of my Associate of Arts degree, I wish to transfer to a four-year institution that focuses on journalism. I’d like to be able to receive my Bachelor of Arts degree at the University of Oregon’s School of Journalism. As much I enjoy the state of Wisconsin, I want to see what it’s like to reside elsewhere. Who knows? Perhaps I will end up back in Wisconsin one day.