Goodman South Campus serves students and the community

PHOTO PROVIDED TO THE CLARION

Students and staff gather outside the new Goodman South Campus for a photograph on the first day of classes.

Krista Olson-Lehman, Staff Writer

Madison College’s South Goodman Campus expansion is more than just additional classrooms in a different location. Goodman South has been designed to give an opportunity to potential students and an opportunity to the community it serves as well.

Goodman South boasts plenty of brand-new opportunities for students of course, with the labs designed for health sciences students, as well as classrooms, computer labs and a library. It also features community rooms, so that local organizations and groups have a space available for meetings.

It has comprehensive programs for those seeking to learn English as a second language, those wishing to complete GED or HSED diplomas, and dozens of certificate programs as well as Associate’s degree programs. In collaboration with the Madison School District, the campus features a STEM program for high school students who wish to work on college credits before graduation.

Madison College has done a great job anticipating changes in student enrollment and made adjustments to meet the needs of students and the surrounding communities. The Goodman South Campus is another way that Madison College is looking to future.

The location also serves a community that has generally been underrepresented. It provides a shorter commute to those coming to class from communities south of Madison. It features legal aid to help those in the community overcome barriers to employment.

The neighborhood around Goodman South also contains important community resources such as the Urban League of Greater Madison.

With this new campus, the program ties to organizations, legal aid for students, an expanded class schedule with day and late-night classes as well as weekends, and a dedicated shuttle service, Madison College is showing its continued commitment to the community and to education.