Be proud of your choice in schools

Kaleia Lawrence, Contributor

If I had a dollar for every time I heard someone make fun of Madison College, I would have enough money to pay off everyone’s tuition. If I got a dime every time I heard someone say something along the lines of “I’ve always looked down on fill-in-the-blank community college, but now that I’m here, it’s not so bad,” I would have enough to make another parking lot. There is no shame in your college’s name.

Madison College is the best option for many students. The environment makes it easier for those who are unsure of their career path, non-traditional students, people going into the trades, or those looking to save a few dollars while still getting ahigh-quality education.

These students should not be mocked just because they decided that attending a four-year university did not fit into their life plans.

So we have heard it all before, the teasing and the surprised, “Why there?” But the question should be, “Why not here?”

This college is rich with helpful faculty, insightful professors and so many unique students. Not only are employees incredible, there are also many useful resources available. The Career and Employment Services, gym membership and counseling, are all helpful services that are covered by tuition.

But we already knew that because we are all here together. Somehow, whether it was a first choice or 500th choice, we are all students at Madison Area Technical College.

No matter your intended major or program, you are here, learning and growing in ways that may not have been possible if you decided not to go to college.

We should be proud of our decision to attend a community college. We have all decided to continue our education in some way, shape or form, and that is something that should be celebrated.