The Clarion

Meet the managing editor of The Clarion

Back to Article
Back to Article

Meet the managing editor of The Clarion

Managing Editor Amara Gobermann, left, gets a photo with Lt. gov. Mandala Barnes after an event celebrating Madison College's rooftop solar array earlier this semester

Clarion Staff Photo

Clarion Staff Photo

Clarion Staff Photo

Amara Gobermann, Managing Editor

Writing has always come with ease to me, but I never knew I could use it to my advantage or for the good of my community.

It all started in my English 1 class my first semester here at Madison College. I dreaded going to school because I didn’t know anyone in my class and was scared it would be too challenging.

After a while I started to enjoy going to the class, and started to be inspired by the topics we were covering. We ranged from technology talk to issues in politics, and got to choose our own topic of importance to us.

The instructor for the course was Suzanne Gittleman. She loved talking about inequalities in the world and the direction that society is headed. I loved how passionate she was, and it made me want to improve as a writer.

At the end of the semester we had a research paper assigned to us. We could choose whatever we wanted, so I chose “stereotype threat.”

This interested me because of an article that Gittleman had given me. She thought I would love this topic because of how she had gotten to know me in class and through my writing.

After I submitted my paper, Gittleman looked it over and said that it needed to brought to people’s attention. I was surprised because I didn’t think it was written well enough to be brought to light. By the end of the semester, I had fully edited it and we sent it over to Doug Kirchberg, advisor of The Clarion.

About a week later, I met Kirchberg in person. He told me I have talent, and that the school newspaper would love to have me write for them. I felt so honored, and took the opportunity right away.

After our meeting, I was in The Clarion office every day, getting to know the staff. I have met Andrew Kicmol, the Editor in Chief; Joe Craker, the Sports Editor; Tessa Morhardt, the Photo Editor, as well as other great people. These people are amazing and I love the new friendships I’m forging with them.

Spending so much time in the Clarion office made Kirchberg and Kicmol think of what position I could fill.

I have a lot of time on my hands, so they thought Managing Editor would be a good fit for me. I couldn’t turn that down, and I am now a full-time member of The Clarion.

Joining the Clarion has opened up so many opportunities for me, and I’m loving it!

Going to school used to be a drag for me, but has turned into something I look forward to going to every week. I can’t wait to see where this new path takes me.

• Opinion

Black love should shine in all cities

• Meet the managing editor of The Clarion

Opinion

Cheating the admission system

Opinion

Twitter and the President

Opinion

‘Me too’ founder shares her story

Opinion

Be an idea generator

Opinion

It is important to vote in local elections

Arts & Culture

Oscars gig is no prize

• Opinion

Senate representatives help fellow students

Opinion

Black history should be taught

• Opinion

Journalist and role model

The news site of Madison Area Technical College
Meet the managing editor of The Clarion