To prank, or not to prank? That is the question

Alison Malek, Staff Writer

Breaking News! Your classes will be cancelled tomorrow due to emergency drills required by … drum roll please … April Fools!
Every April 1st is deemed a day where it’s OK to prank another person. As long as it’s not illegal or creating bodily or emotional harm, you can pretty much get away with doing anything. This day is April Fools.

Though its filled with controversy, April Fools is thought to have begun in the year 1392 drawn from a concept out of Geoffrey Chaucer’s The Canterbury Tales.

April Fools became especially popular in the 19th Century, though it has not been deemed a public holiday in any country.
While some people rather like April Fools and enjoy watching or planting pranks on others, there are always those people who are extremely opposed to any silly non-sense. (Though, it is hard to find a person of the opposed type when surrounded by rowdy and fun college students.)

Some students believe that while pranks can be fun, you have to be careful and make sure that you don’t end up doing something that will get you in trouble.

“On April Fool’s Day, pranks are a lot of fun, but can get out of hand. I always think of the consequences of a prank during the planning stage,” said Brandy Nobles, a Madison College student.

Other students may not even participate in the April Fools Day festivities. However, they may still become victims of somebody else’s prank.

“I don’t have any feelings for April Fools because I don’t celebrate it, since a home we do not do anything about it. At school, the teachers would tell us that we don’t have homework and then yell, ‘April Fools!’ That is the most I have ever been pranked,” said Angela Gomez, a Madison College student.

All in all, April Fools is a great opportunity to play pranks and jokes on other people, as long as the outcome does not include consequences that you will live to regret.

So, will you be the one playing the pranks or being pranked on this year?