Volunteer over winter, spring break

Cisco Garcia, Staff Writer

Are you looking for plans during spring break or winter break? The Volunteer Center has some great opportunities for you to take a trip and help our community or someone else’s community. They have opportunities in the Madison area and out of state.
For the out-of-state trip, students will be going to Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in Kanab, Utah. Volunteer activities will include weeding, groundskeeping, general landscaping, trail creation and maintenance, mucking pastures, deep cleaning of animal care areas, preparing transport vehicles, sanding and painting of fences/shed/animal care areas. There will also be tours, educational talks and the opportunity to hike in local national parks. Volunteers will stay at the Cowboy Bunkhouse Hostel.
Applications for the alternative spring break trip are due Jan. 25. Everyone who applies will be required to participate in a group interview before being approved for the program.
There will be two Madison-area day trips during winter break and four local day trips during spring break. These trips are currently being planned by student leader, Madalyn Breunig.
The winter break day trips include:
• Volunteering at Little John’s Kitchen on Jan. 9 from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
• Card and sachet making at the Truax Campus on Jan. 10 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
• Serving at the Ronald McDonald House on Jan. 12 from 8:45 a.m. to 4 p.m. Students must be vaccinated against COVID-19 and wear a face covering to participate.
The Volunteer Center asks that you sign up in advance to participate in the winter break activities. Sign up online at https://forms.office.com/r/paahAKEY51.
If you have any questions about these trips, please reach out by email to Volunteer Center advisor Brianna Stapelton Welch at [email protected] or Breunig at [email protected].