Pow Wow will be in person for first time since 2019

Kaleia Lawrence, Editor in Chief

After two years away because of the pandemic, Madison College is once again hosting a Pow Wow in person. It’s open to the community and free for all. The hope is to make it accessible for people to gather again. 

It’s hosted by a few different organizations in the school: the Office of Equity and Inclusion, the Intercultural Exchange, United Common Ground and the Native American Student Association (NASA).  

“The college has really embraced it,” said Katie Ackley, student program advisor for the office of Equity, Inclusion and Community Engagement. 

There will be about 18 different vendors there, selling everything from t-shirts to artwork to handwoven baskets. NASA will be selling fry bread tacos and fry bread in the cafeteria until about 4 p.m. 

Doors open at 11 a.m. During that time, people can check out what the vendors are selling. Then, the first grand entrance is at 1 p.m. with songs and dancing. Another grand entrance will happen at 7 p.m. People can come and leave during the day. An emcee will describe the day as it goes.  

“It’s a cultural opportunity…a way to experience something that you may not normally get to see or be around,” said Ackley. She added that it’s a fun way to socialize with friends or meet new people. 

The groups are still looking for volunteers, so those interested can visit https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/PowWowVounteer2022.