New website helps with personal well-being

you.madisoncollege.edu

Kaleia Lawrence, Editor in Chief

Outside of school pressures, social life and other obligations, many students struggle with maintaining their mental health.
At least 44 percent of college students report symptoms of anxiety and depression, according to Mayo Clinic. They also found that suicide is the third leading cause of death for college students.
Madison College sent a survey in 2019 that estimated about 63 percent of students experience at least one symptom of significant mental health problems. This includes depression, anxiety disorders, suicidal thoughts, self-injury or eating disorders.
In order to help combat this, Madison College launched a new website, YOU at Madison College. The site is available to all students taking any number of classes. To log in, go to you.madisoncollege.edu and use your student email to get access.
The student wellness platform gives students the opportunity to set goals and learn more about mental health. Some featured topics include stress and anxiety, diversity and identity and mindfulness and balance, just to name a few.
There are self-check-ins to assess where they are with that goal. A success assessment might look at different forms of success, like academic and career success. Then, you’ll get a rating of where you are now and resources to help learn more.
One way that’s recommended for students to interact with it is making time frequently, according to John Boyne, a counselor on campus.
“Some of these changes are hard to make, so you know, set some small goals, interact with it, get ideas, do your best to implement them. Forgive yourself for not quite getting there and then try again,” said Boyne.
“Just do a little bit at a time, but use this as a guide and a resource. It’s pretty encouraging and positive.”
A clear message sent to students is that investing time in their wellness is important.