Community impacts on International Women’s Day

Paige Zezulka, Managing Editor

As International Women’s Day arrives on March 8, Madison College is taking its awareness of the global holiday to the next step, with action.
“Inequality is very real and there are still women out there that need our support,” said Wendyam Ilboudo, a student leader from the Volunteer Center. “It’s very important that we keep showing them that we see them, and we are here for them.”
Half of Madison College’s population is made up of women. To have those women feel like they are being heard, supported and included is a priority at the school.
Ilboudo explained that promoting these issues is always important but putting them into motion on a day-to-day basis is key.
There are two main events planned to engage in the holiday on campus.
A Menstrual Product Drive, which is in collaboration with PTK, has been put in place to collect feminine products beginning at the end of February through March 8. Students are asked to donate products such as pads, tampons and menstrual cups. Donation drop off zones will be on the Truax Campus in the Student Life Center as well as at Goodman South in Room 109.
At the end of the drive, all donations will be submitted to a local non-profit called “Bleed Shamelessly” who distribute these products to people in need throughout the community.
“Even something as simple as menstruation can be a source of inequality,” said Ilboudo.
The next event that is scheduled is in partnership with United Common Ground and the Volunteer Center. A presentation will be hosted by the Domestic Abuse Intervention Services regarding the topics of intimate partner violence and how it relates to transgender women.
This presentation will be held on March 10 from 12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. in the Intercultural Exchange Center. Guests are welcome to join in-person or virtual.
“I wanted to do something memorable to celebrate this day,” said Ilboudo.
By being a part of the impact that the college will have on the community, on International Women’s Day, it will definitely be one to remember.
For more information regarding the events visit WolfPack Connect or email the Volunteer Center: [email protected]