Title IX protects students from discrimination and harassment

Iman Alrashid, Staff Writer

Have you or any one of your friends experienced sexual violence? If so, the Madison College Dean of Students Office wants you to know that you are not alone, and you have support in many ways. 

Madison College is committed to teaching and learning in a healthy campus climate.  

Sexual violence, partner violence, sexual assault, stalking, rape or sexual harassment are all not easy to address. It’s hard to know what to do after experiencing any of them. 

If you experience any type of violence, start with talking to a friend or someone you trust. Seek help from trusted, supportive sources like Madison College Counseling Services. 

The college’s counseling office will help you by discussing all options confidentially. They can be reached at (608) 246-6076.  

If you decide not to tell anyone, you have another option. You can file a Title IX report with the college by completing the online “Harassment / Discrimination Report Form” found on the college’s website. This form goes directly to the college’s Title IX Coordinators. 

Maybe you are asking what Title IX is? 

Title IX is a federal civil rights law that prevents higher education institutions from discriminating based on an individual’s sex or gender, including acts of sexual harassment. 

What about online classes? 

When online behaviors cause substantial disruption to the working or learning environment, you have the right to report any such behavior to the Madison College Counseling Services.  

Madison College wants to encourage reporting of sexual harassment cases, “We want to know what’s going on, and we want to help.”