Advocate for the Student Body, join the Student Senate

Eimy Gonzalez, News Editor

As a new semester begins so does the search for new students eager to advocate for the student body and seize new skills. The Student Senate, with the loss of students who graduated or transferred last fall, has vacancies available that promise great learning and growth opportunities.

The Student Senate has varied achievements that were pursued for the interest of the Madison College community. They maintain close relationships with students and are constantly researching the different problematics that they are facing to work up to different solutions. To this day, the Student Senate has successfully provided the college with the Food Pantry, to battle food insecurity, and the Textbook Rental program which has eased the issue of textbook affordability.

The structure of the Student Senate has been established to hear and work for the college community as a whole. Therefore, besides the open positions for online or Truax students, there are specific positions that need to be filled by students from the South Campus and the regional campuses. Now, there are openings for Watertown, Reedsburg, Fort Atkinsons, and the Goodman South. Additionally, there are 10 general position openings for any student, regardless of campus or program. However, the requirements of entry need to be met, this include being enrolled in three or more-degree credits, pay supplemental fees, and have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher.

As a Student Senator there needs to be great commitment to ensure that the goals are met in a timely and satisfactory matter. However, the responsibilities and time dedicated vary depending on the position. Student Senate members meet each week for 1 1/1 to 2 hours and are expected to attend it every Thursdays at 4:30 p.m. online through Microsoft Teams. Each member is also expected to participate in other committees, either internal to the senate or campus wide with involvement with the student affairs council and, on a weekly basis, spend at least one hour in the virtual student senate virtual office. It is especially important for members to maintain communication with their peers.

“It’s expected for them to just talk to their peers. Talk with students who are in their classes, to their friends, to club members, and see what the issues are and get feedback. Because they really are representing other students not just their own perspectives or opinions,” Said Ellie Rome, Student Senate advisor.

Joining the Student Senate can be a beneficial life changing opportunity. Rome mentions that the experience gained from this opportunity is extremely valuable. Senators are involved with all students while developing leadership, communication, and teamwork related skills—just to name a few—that are transferable to any career. “It’s just an incredible opportunity to work on some of those professional skills while also making a really big difference for the students at Madison college,” says Rome.

If you are interested in joining the senate and would like to speak with a senator to gain firsthand experience of what they do, you can drop in during their virtual office hours following the link in wolfpack connect or by sending an email to [email protected]. Now, the student senate will begin to recruit for next year soon. So, if someone who is interest joins before the spring election they would show as a returning member of the senate which would be beneficial on the ballot. If this is something you see yourself doing, contact the Student Senate and be on your way.