Transferring to UW-Madison for the Spring Semester

Mackenzie Moore, News Editor

By now, those hoping to transfer to the University of Wisconsin – Madison for next semester are likely to have received their admissions decision. For those who got in, however, the transferring process is very different from the past; namely, it’s not in-person.

First, students must schedule a time and complete a module to access the virtual SOAR (Student Orientation, Advising, and Registration) event. This opened on Dec. 7 and must be done before placement testing on Jan. 4.

From Jan. 5-10, students will be working on completing content on Canvas. According to the university, this content will connect students with information about the advising process, serve as a guide for course selection and will provide instructions for scheduling a conference with an advisor.

After this, from Jan. 13-21, students will have a meeting with an academic advisor that lasts at least 30 minutes. After this meeting, transfer students will be able to officially enroll.

While many people were hoping college life would be restored by January, this does not appear to be the case. University of Wisconsin – Madison transfer students may not be getting a typical introduction to the university, but ultimately, they will be part of the academic institution just as much as those who enrolled before the pandemic.