Madison College continues to emphasize remote learning for Spring 2021 semester 

Hannah Dotzler, Copy Editor

Madison College President Jack E. Daniels III announced through a “State of Madison College” email to all current students that the course format for the Spring 2021 semester will look very similar to that of the current Fall 2020 semester.  

Madison College altered most of its classes to be remote for the Fall 2020 semester and plans to keep it that way in the spring. The introduction of a mostly remote course format was created due to the current COVID-19 pandemic to help decrease the spread of the coronavirus. 

In his email, Daniels said, Our COVID protocols have been effective in keeping our community safe. We have been able to limit the number of positive cases on campus. Thanks to careful planning, we were able to act swiftly to limit our campus community’s exposure to those cases.”  

Daniels stated that Madison College will continue to follow its protocols for the pandemic for as long as necessary, which is why about 70 percent of the school’s courses will continue to be remote in the spring. The remote format includes fully online classes as well as online live classes. For courses that require students to be in person, most of them will be delivered in a hybrid format, which means they will be partly in-person and partly online. The school is limiting fully in-person courses as much as it possibly can. Of the few courses that are in-person, classrooms will be adjusted to follow social distancing procedures.  

Daniels’ email also mentioned that students who do have classes that require them to be in-person, but who do not feel comfortable or are not able to attend classes in this way, have the option to work with advisors and other faculty to find an alternative that will work best for them.  

Madison College has created a Spring 2021 Back-to-School Checklist for students to refer to leading up to the next semester. The checklist includes information on how to better prepare for classes, such as a links for students to order their textbooks or request a laptop or hotspot from the school, resources to help students, like tutoring options or academic advisors and ways for students to stay informed about school news and updates, including suggestions to download the school’s Navigate and WolfPack Connect apps or a link to the COVID screener test, which students must complete before entering any of the school’s buildings. To see the full list, you can go to madisoncollege.edu/student-checklist.