The Service Learning Academy is still running! 

Boh Suh, Staff Writer

During this pandemic, volunteers are needed more than ever. Many places are looking for help, and I am excited to share that the Service Learning Academy is still operating for Madison College students. 

What is Service Learning Academy (SLA)? It is a semester-long program that connects a Madison College student to a community non-profit organization. The student can volunteer two hours per week for 10 weeks at the same organization. This is a great opportunity for the students to give their time to their community. 

I have been volunteering at Community Action Coalition as a part of SLA since January 2019, and it has given me a rewarding experience to help others. 

Some people may have questions about how SLA is running under this pandemic. I had an opportunity to talk to Brianna Stapleton Welch, a program advisor for Volunteer Center & Service Learning Student LifeEven though some organizations cannot have volunteers anymore due to COVID-19, there is a virtual volunteering opportunity as a tutor for Schools of Hope. This will be an excellent opportunity for the students who may be worried about volunteering in-person. Also, Brianna emphasized that many volunteering sites are following COVID-19 safety protocols and being extra cautious. 

If you are interested in participating in Service Learning Academy this semester or any volunteering opportunities outside SLA, please don’t hesitate to contact [email protected]. They will help you to find the right volunteer opportunities in this strange time of the year!