The Clarion wins multiple awards from WNAF Contest

The Clarion staff won 15 awards from the 2019 Wisconsin Newspaper Association Foundation’s Collegiate Better Newspaper Contest.

Results from the contest were announced in May. The awards were to be presented at the annual WNA convention, but the convention has been cancelled due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Sports editor Christina Gordon and graphic designer Paulina Kababie both received first place awards in the contest.

Gordon won first place in sports reporting for an article about Madison College baseball player Pierson Gibis and his battle with cancer. Kababie won first place in advertising for an advertisement promoting the Yahara Journal spring writing contest.

Gordon also won third place in sports reporting for an article about Madison College golfer Joe Ignatius.

Three other staff members won multiple awards.

Reporter Amara Gobermann took second place in column writing with a column entitled “Black history should be taught.” She also took third place in the category with a piece about the educational impact of stereotype threat.

Former editor Andrew Kicmol took third place in breaking news reporting for articles about the college’s solar rooftop array. He placed third in arts and entertainment reporting for a story about Performing Arts’ presentation of “Puffs.” Kicmol also earned an honorable mention award for an article about the planned closing of the college’s swimming pool.

Photo editor Britni Petitt won third place in feature photography for a package of photos from the fashion marketing “Century of Hats” show and an honorable mention in news photography for pictures of the biotechnology students testing bacteria samples.

Managing editor Anica Graney earned a second-place award in page design for a page featuring the college’s new virtual reality headsets. Graphic designer Leah Heidemann earned a third-place award for a page design featuring the college’s chef series.

Reporter Maia Lathrop took second place in breaking news reporting for her article about the new food pantry on campus. Krista Olson-Lehman took second in feature photography for an image of the sun setting behind the Health and Technology Education Building.

Opinion editor Casey Anderson earned an honorable mention in arts and entertainment for a story about Mike Lecrone’s 50 years as director of the UW marching band.

The WNA will formally announce all of the awards on June 1, but gave student newspapers permission to announce their individual awards.