College plans a virtual ceremony for graduates

Tessa Morhardt, Editor in Chief

As you all know, the emergence of COVID-19 has led classes to move online and several on-campus events to be canceled.

All graduating students have been wondering what is going to happen with the commencement ceremony.

Despite not being able to gather in large groups at this time, Madison College President Dr. Jack Daniels and Student Affairs Vice President Dr. Howard Spearman wanted to plan something special for the graduating students.

So plans are now in place for a virtual graduation ceremony.

The ceremony will take place on May 21 starting at 4:30 p.m. It will be online, and links to the ceremony will be shared with graduating students and posted on the college’s website.

In addition, Madison College staff are looking for other ways to end the year on a positive note for graduates.

Student Life will plan a variety of activities in the days leading up to the ceremony that will help graduates celebrate their accomplishments.

There will be Instagram opportunities as a way for the community to celebrate. Some ideas that may be included are “Decorate your cap” contest and a special photo of some type when students #moveyourtassell.

In addition, a graduation website is being created where students can upload their photos and positive or inspirational messages they would like to share as part of the virtual ceremony. The site will be located at madisoncollege.edu/graduation and will go live on May 21.

On the website, you can search for graduates by name or on another tab by program. If you click on the program name, all students graduating in that program will run with names stated.

Faculty want to be involved, too, so they are coming up with creative ways they can congratulate their students.

The traditional $20 graduation processing fee is being waived this year. There is no charge for the processing and mailing of the diplomas

There will be opportunities for others, faculty, family, friends, or whoever goes to the site are able to comment on the students’ page. You can find an example at https://virtualgrad.marchingorder.com/