Volunteer Fair encourages students to serve the community

Chris Bird, News Editor

The Madison College Volunteer Fair was held on Feb. 12, from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Truax Campus. Twenty-three organizations brought representatives and set up tables to give students the opportunity to get volunteer work in the community.

Janette Ocotl, a student volunteer helping run the fair, talked about the value of volunteering.

“It’s a good opportunity for you to go out if you have the time. Offer help to the community, many of these organizations are active in our community,” said Ocotl.

In each of their own ways these volunteer positions give students a way to take an active role in the community surrounding them.

“Volunteering in general is an important thing to get connected and give back to the community,” said JD Engelhardt from Big Brothers, Big Sisters of Dane County.

The organizations at the fair represented a wide array of roles for all types of volunteers. From the OutReach Inc. LGBTQ+ Community Center, to the Henry Vilas Zoo, to WORT Community Radio, students had plenty of variety in their volunteering choices.

A variety of skill sets were needed at the many organizations.  Some places, like Occupy Madison, were seeking web designers and social media writers. Places like PBS and WORT offered experience in television and radio. Other places were looking more for people willing to spend time helping however they can to further their goal to improve our community.

If students weren’t able to attend the fair, or don’t know how they would like to get involved, there are also plenty of volunteer positions available through the Volunteer Center at Madison College. The center offers one-on-one advising to help find positions and can help students make connections.

You can also visit VolunteerYourTime.org to find even more volunteer opportunities through Madison College, Edgewood College, the Morgridge Center for Public Service, and the United Way of Dane County.