Workshop addresses active shooter situations

Sara Adams, Staff Writer

What would you do if you were in class and received a WolfPack alert telling you there was an active shooter in the building?

On Dec. 4, the Public Safety Department held a training on how to remain safe during an active shooter situation. According to the Department of Homeland Security, “An ‘active shooter’ is an individual who is engaged in killing or attempting to kill people in a confined and populated area.”

The training was just two days after a gun related incident at a Waukesha high school, and one month after the state legislature refused to take up legislation on gun violence at a special session called by Gov. Tony Evers. 

“Statistically, active shooter incidents are on the rise,” said Officer Nic Tatro. 

According to the Federal Bureau of Investigation, there were 27 active shooter incidents in 2018. 

Tatro said in order to be prepared for an active shooter it helps to be aware of your surroundings and know where all the exits are, that way you can get out of the building as quickly as possible. 

Sergeant Luke Adler said if you are unable to leave the building while an active shooter is present, you should barricade the door in order to discourage the shooter from entering. He also said having a plan for an active shooter incident and discussing the plan with others can help you be prepared. 

Adler also said in the event of an emergency, like an active shooter situation, information will be shared via the WolfPack Alert.

Teresa Werhane, Project Coordinator at the STEM Center, attended the training.

“Because I work in the STEM Center and we have a fair number of people that come in and out of the center, I would just like to know how to respond if something were to happen and what I would tell the students and staff that are in the center. I just figure the more information I have the more I can help,” she said.

Gerard Xavier, from counseling services, spoke briefly at the end of the training to let staff members know about the college’s behavior intervention team. He said the behavior team meets weekly to evaluate reports of disruptive behavior.